Wild mango/Hog Plums in English is Ambado in Konkani and Amtekai in Kannada are normally available in the markets here and also some people have trees in their own garden. These wild mangoes have medicinal qualities as well – digestion n all. We prepare chutney, pickle (of course temporary) and also Menskai which I have already put up on this blog. This chutney tastes unique and can be a side dish and also is suitable for idli and dosas. These wild mangoes are available almost 6-8 months in a year during which period people here replace it for tamarind for masalas. This wet chutney should be 9th in the list of wet chutneys on this blog.
What you need to have:
1. Wild Mango peals – 1/2 cup
2. Fresh grated coconut – 3/4 cup
3. Peanuts – 1/4 cup
4. Green chillies – 2-3
5. Ginger – 1 ” piece
6. Coriander leaves – A handful
7. Salt – To taste
Crushed Wild Mangoes
Ingredients of Wild Mango chutney
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and crush wild mangoes as shown in the image above. We use 0nly the peals for this chutney.
2. Grate coconut, wash and peal ginger and coriander leaves also chop green chillies and keep it aside.
3. Place a broad based bowl on medium flame with peanuts in it and dry roast the same till you get a pleasant aroma. On cooling, peal them.
4. Place a spatula with 1 teaspoon of cooking oil in it on medium flame and fry chopped green chillies in it.
5. Transfer crushed mango peals from step 1 , grated coconut, chopped coriander leaves, ginger from step 2, dry roasted and pealed peanuts from step 3 and fried green chillies from step 4 and salt to a mixer bowl and grind it to the required consistency adding sufficient quantity of water.
Here then is your wild mango chutney !
Ready to serve Wild Mango chutney(wet)