Fresh rice noodles is arguably the quintessential konkani dish – a real favorite in the family. Sure its laborious and time consuming but then fruits of labor pass the cost-benefit test :-). We relish it with chutney typically but its also not uncommon to prepare a sweeter version of this dish – something I will put up in a later post.
What you need to have:
1. Raw Sona Masoori rice – 2 cups
2. Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
3. Water to soak and grind – 2.5 – 3 cups
Ingredients of Rice Noodles
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and soak rice in 2 and 1/2 cups of raw rice for about 2-3 hours. Grind it in mixer with grated coconut to fine consistency adding water in steps. Add required quantity of salt to it. The batter should be to a falling consistency.
Ground Rice noodles batter
2. Transfer the ground batter to a broad skillet and put it on the flame.
Ground batter being cooked on the flame
3. Keep stirring the batter till it thickens in such a way that one should be able to shape it to required shape.
Cooked rice batter
4. Dip your hands in cool water and shape cooked batter to required shape to suit one’s noodles mold. It can be either round or long.
Cooked batter being shaped
5. Steam it in the cooker or in broad vessel for about 15 minutes till done. To know whether it is cooked or not, insert a knife into the batter and it should turn out free. ( If you are cooking it in the cooker steam it like you steam the idlis)
Shaped batter being steamed
6. Insert cooked batter into the mould and press it and it is ready to serve now. (For this mold you need two people. But in the Bhujia mould one can do it alone.)
Steamed noodles passing through the mould
7. Place the batter into the Bhujia mould and here also it works!!!!
Rice Noodles through the Bhujia mould
8. Ready to serve Rice noodles is here below.
Ready to serve Rice noodles (Shavige)
9. Enjoy it with Asafoetida chutney.
Rice Noodles with Asafoetida chutney
10. Some people love to relish it with coconut oil and pickle.
Shavige with coconut oil & pickle
Number of Shevige: 20