Horsegram in English is Huruli in Kannada and Kulithu in Konkani. Horsegram soup is a monsoon delight – we enjoy it during this season only by seasoning it with garlic and cooking it in combination with Mangalore Cucumber and onion. It tastes great with a dollop of butter. People cook Horsegram to feed the cattle during cultivation and we in turn consume the soup as a special dish and enjoy.
What you need to have:
1. Horsegram – 2 Cups
2. Mangalore Cucumber chopped – 2 Cups
3. Onion (big) – 1
4. Galic pods for seasoning – 10-15
5. Oil/Ghee – 4-5 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Horsegram Soup (Kultha saru)
Ingredients of Wet Masala & Garlic pods for seasoning
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Grated coconut fresh – 2 tablespoons
2. Red chillies – 2-3
3. Tamarind – a small piece
4. Garlic pods – for seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and cook Horsegram in the cooker adding sufficient quantity of water on medium flame for about 30-45 minutes till it is cooked. On pressure being released, drain soup from cooked lentil.
2. Wash, peal and chop Mangalore Cucumber, chop onions and cook both of them in the soup on a medium flame till they are cooked. When done add required quantity of salt and bring it to boil.
3. Place a spatula with a teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add red chillies and just fry it for a while.
4. Grind fried Chillies, grated coconut, tamarind in the mixer adding water in steps to a fine consistency.
5. Add the ground masala to the soup from step-2 and bring it to boil.
6. Place a spatula with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. Add crushed garlic pods to it and fry it till brown and season it to the soup from step 5.
Ready to serve Horsegram Soup(Kultha Saru)
Serve it hot with a dollop of butter and enjoy.
How long it takes: 45 minutes (+ 35 minutes for cooking Horsegram)
Number of servings: 6-7