Surnoli is a delicacy among the South and North Kanara Konkanis. We prepare it usually for breakfast and also for tiffin in the evening. It can be sweet with Jaggery/Mollasses and also plain/sour (without Jaggery). Though the dough needs to be fermented like the normal dosa or Idli, we do not use Blackgram dal for this dish. We use puffed paddy to make the dosas fluffy, some people use beaten rice (poha) as well. Give this a shot ! Puffed paddy is Aralu in kannada, Layi in Konkani and puffed paddy corns in english i think.
What you need to have:
1. Sona masoori rice (raw) – 2 cups
2. Fresh grated coconut – 1 cup
3. Puffed paddy(plain) – 4 cups
4. Jaggery/Mollasses – As per taste
5. Fenugreek seeds – 2 teaspoons
6. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
7. Salt – 1/8 teaspoon
Ingredients of Surnoli (Sweet dosa)
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak Sona Masoori raw rice, fenugreek seeds in about 2 cups of water for about 3-4 hours.
2. Grate coconut, crush Jaggery/Mollasses and keep it aside. Soak puffed paddy in 1 cup water for about an hour.
Puffed Paddy soaked in water
3. Grind soaked puffed paddy, grated coconut and jaggery in the mixer to a medium coarseconsistency (with the soaked water which is sufficient).
Ground mixture of puffed paddy, coconut & jaggery
4. Grind soaked rice and ground mixture of coconut, puffed paddy and jaggery along with turmeric powder to a fine consistency adding water in steps. The ground sweet dosa batter is as under. Keep it for fermentation overnight adding a pinch of salt.
The ground Sweet Dosa batter
5. When kept for fermentation the batter would be as below.
The fermented Sweet Dosa batter
6. Place a dosa griddle on medium flame with a little butter on it. When it melts spread the batter on it to a medium thick consistency.
Dosa batter spread on the hot griddle
7. Close it with a lid for a while.
Sweet dosa being cooked closed with a lid
8. Just open the lid and it is done. This dosa is full of holes. (There is no need to reverse these dosas at all. They are cooked on both the sides at once.)
Cooked Surnoli (Sweet dosa)
9. Serve hot with either butter or pure ghee.
Ready to serve Surnoli with Amul butter
10. Some enjoy it with chutney powder of one’s own choice.
Surnoli with chutney powder
Number of Dosas: 15-16 of the above size
How long it takes: 45 minutes other than soaking and fermenting
Good to know:
1. The reason for using puffed paddy is it makes dosa fluffy and light. More over the reverse side of the dosa never turns black as in case of Beaten rice if added in place of Puffed paddy which is called Aralu in kannada and Layi in konkani!!!!!