Sweet potato though not at all as popular as its more relative potato, still the chips are really tasty and popular down south. We not only prepare chips , and also cook curries with it. We also steam it in the cooker with a pinch of salt and enjoy it. The chips I am putting up today, most people I know prepare it just like the Banana chips by adding only salt. But I have added masala which really gave a thumbs up to the recipe !
What you need to have:
1. Sweet Potatoes – 5-6
2. Salt – 1/2 Teaspoon
3. Chilli powder – 2/3 Teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
5. Black salt powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
6. Pepper powder – 1/3 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Dry Masala powder
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash thoroughly Sweet potatoes in the running water to get rid of mud etc..,
2. Powder black salt. Mix it with chilli powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, normal salt and keep it aside.
3. Place a wide skillet with 1 cup fresh cooking oil (either Saffola or Sunflower oil) in it on medium flame.
4. When heated scrap sweet potatoes directly in oil and let it fry as usual till dark brown. (I have just put up the picture of the last lot of chips being fried) Sweet Potato chips being fried
5. When chips is completely fried to dark brown color, remove it from the skillet and just sprinkle the masala powder mix from step 2 to it and stir well.
Ready to serve Sweet Potato chips
Heavenly to taste, enjoy it with tea as a snack.
Store it air tight containers and will remain afresh for more than 15 days if fried in fresh oil.
Good to remember:
1. Sweet Potato being sweet it should be fried to dark brown colour only. Else it will turn out soggy.
2. One more thing people prepare this chips with adding only salt water like the banana chips. This being old recipe I thought of just modifying it by adding the above masala powder to it.
How long it takes: 15 minutes