Egg plant also called Brinjal in English is Badane or Vangi in Kannada and Gulla in Konkani. I have already put up Vangi bath, and i would like to put up the most popular and the simplest of the recipes that is Gulla bajhi not only among the konkanis but also amongst all , may be there will be a little difference in the ingredients.
What you need to have:
1. Egg plant – 2-3
2. Green chillies – 4-5
3. Asafoetida (soft) – size of a peanut
4. Tamarind – Around 1/2 Teaspoon
5. Salt – To taste
6. Coconut oil – 2-3 Teaspoon
7. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoon
8. Coriander leaves chopped – 1 Tablespoon (optional)
Ingredients of Gulla Bajhi
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash Egg plant, green chillies, grate coconut and keep it aside.
2. Apply a little oil to eggplant and microwave it in the oven till it is cooked. To see whether it is cooked or not insert a knife and see if it pierces through all the way. One can even just roast on gas directly as shown here below. I have used the microwaved egg plant and the green chillies.
Egg plant being cooked on the flame
3. On cooling, in both the cases peal, open it and transfer it to a bowl.
Microwaved Egg plant being pealed
4. Dissolve soft Asafoetida in a little water and mix it to the cooked Egg plant.
5. Just roast green chillies on the flame itself holding it with a holder having first pricked it with a knife to prevent it from bursting. Or of course, you can microwave the chilli.
6. Squeeze roasted chillies from step 5 and salt together. Also mix tamarind to the pealed Egg plant.
7. Lastly add grated coconut and just add a few drops of coconut oil and serve with rice and dal.
Ready to serve Gulla Bajhi
8. One can even decorate it with chopped coriander leaves and finely chopped onion too.
Ready to serve Gulla Bajhi decorated with coriander leaves
How long it takes: 30 mins
Number of servings: 2-3