Now is the season of Jackfruit and we prepare a few items like the jack papad, Mulik, chips, pudding, idli, dosas etc., Today I would like to put up Jackfruit pudding – something that can be relished both warm and chilled.
What you need to have:
1. Jackfruit sheaths chopped – 1 cup
2. Coconut milk (thick) – 1 cup
3. Raw rice – 1/6 cup
4. Jaggery/Mollasses – 1/2 cup
5. Cardamom – 4-5
6. Cashews – A few
7. Water in all – 1 Litre
Ingredients of Jackfruit pudding
What you do with what you have:
1. Chop jack sheaths into small pieces, chop Jaggery/Mollasses and keep it aside. Chop cashews as well into small pieces.
2. Soak rice in water for about an hour. After an hour grind soaked rice and pealed cardamom in mixer to a medium fine consistency adding suficient quantity of water.
3. Place a broad based bowl with 2 glasses of water in it on medium flame. When it boils add chopped jaggery to it and let it be on the flame till it dissolves in it.
4. At this stage add chopped jack sheaths to it and allow it to cook. Add chopped cashews as well to it.
5. When done, add ground rice from step 2 and about 2-3 glasses of water to it and keep stiring continuously till it thickens. If needed add some more water to it. In all use 1 litre water for the dish. Lastly add coconut milk to it and stir well and bring it to boil.
Ready to serve Gharayi is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Jackfruit pudding (Gharayi)
Good to remember:
1. These days people use wheat sujee instead of rice to ease the recipe. Tastewise adding ground rice would be better.
2. The thing is always keep stiring the dish after adding ground rice mixture to avoid the dish from getting burnt and turning tasteless.
How long it takes: 1 hour
Number of servings: 5-6 people