Snake gourd is a vegetable available only for about 4-5 months in the year. Snake gourd in English is Padavalkayi in Kannada and Poddale in konkani. Some variety of it will be even 4 feet long , but here we get only the short organic ones. Though it is very good from the health point of view, many do not prefer it like they prefer the Cauliflower, potato, Beans etc. When it is tender we prefer to prepare curry and if it is more than tender, we just cut it into rings and stuff it with potato mix and shallow fry the same. We also prepare chutney with the seeds which I will put up later.
What you need to have:
1. Snake gourd rings – 10-15
2. Potatoes medium – 3-4
3. Chopped ginger – 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Chopped Garlic – 1 Teaspoon
5. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
6. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Garam masala powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. Salt – As per taste
10. Chopped coriander leaves – 1 Tablespoon
Ingredients of stuffing
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal, and cook potatoes in he cooker as usual till smooth.
2. Wash and chop coriander leaves, ginger fine, peal and chop garlic pods fine .
3. On releasing the pressure just smash cooked potatoes and mix all the ingredients from step 2 to it and mix well. Place a spatula and heat 1 or 2 teaspoons of oil. Switch off the gas.
4. Add chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder to it. Mix well and add it to the smashed potato mix. Lastly add salt, squeeze lemon juice to it and mix well to form a dough.
5. Place a veg ring on your palm. Pinch out required quantity of potato stuffing from it and just flatten it into the ring and is as shown in the image below. Repeat the same process for the remaining rings as well.
Pinched out ball and the stuffed cutlets
5. Just dust each of the stuffed cutlets in rice atta.
Cutlets dusted in Rice Atta
6. Place a dosa tawa on medium flame with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. Place a few of the dusted cutlets and sprinkle little oil on the upper layer of the cutlets and close it with a lid. After a while just open the lid and reverse the same and again sprinkle a little oil again and fry it till crispy.
Enjoy with either tomato sauce or plain.
Ready to serve Snakegourd cutlet
What to remember:
1. One can even push the stuffed cutlet in the refregerator and fry it in a day or two whenever needed. Do not keep the fried cutlet since it will lose the freshness and will not be crispy
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of cutlets: 10-15