Ajwain is also called oma in kannada. It is used in many ayurvedic medicines. In my childhood whenever we kids had a bad stomach mom used to feed us with ajwain kashaya and also she used to stuff a pinch of ajwain , salt and one or two black pepper in the beetle leaves and advise us to just chew on it for a while. Things would be back to normal without any need for a doctor visit. Ajwain is good for digestion and also helps one get some good sleep. It is also good for lactating mothers.
I am putting up Ajwain chutney powder today, this is the 7th in the list of the dry chutney powders on this blog !
What you need to have:
1. Copra (Dry coconut) – 2 cups
2. Bengalgram Dal – 1 cup
3. Ajwain seeds – 1 Tablespoon
4. Pepper seeds – 1 Tablespoon
5. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
7. Red chilli powder(Byadgi) – 2 Tablespoons
8. Curry leaves – 1 cup
9. Asafoetida (soft) – size od a peanut
10. Sugar/Jaggery – (Optional)
11. Tamarind – 1″ in diameter
Ingredients of Ajwain chutney powder
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a broad based bowl on the medium flame with Bengalgram Dal in it and dry roast the same till you get a pleasant aroma and a little change to light brown from its original yellow colour.
Dry roasted Bengalgram Dal
2. Place a spatula with 3-4 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated fry asafoetida in it till it turns brown and crispy. Transfer it to the bowl containg dry roasted Bengalgram Dal. Fry ajwain seeds, cumin seeds and pepper one by one in the same spatula.
Roasted Dal and other ingredients
3. Place a broad based bowl on the medium flame and dry roast curry leaves in till they turn crispy but donot change the colour. Powder roasted curry leaves with the dal mix.
4. Dry roast Copra also in bowl on medium flame till it turns light brown and crispy. Switch off the flame and add turmeric powder, chilli powder to it and stir well. Add required quantity of tamarind, salt and a pinch of sugar/Jaggery for taste to it and allow it to cool.
5. Dry grind roasted dal mix from step 1, 2 and 3 in the mixer to a medium coarse consistency.
Dry ground Dal mix powder
6. Divide dal mix into 3-4 parts and grind it with roasted copra chilli powder mix accordingly to required consistency. Ready to serve Ajwain chutney powder is here below. One can enjoy it with rotis as well as with rice and butter. On cooling store it in airtight containers and will remain afresh for about a month.
Ready to serve Ajwain chutney powder
How long it takes: 45 minutes