We konkanis prepare our sole dish Dalithoy with Toor dal. This varan is a North Kanara Konkani recipe. I am from Bangalore and was not at all aware of this dish until after my marriage when my mother-in-law prepared it at least once in a fortnight. It tastes great and though not spicy can be served to kids which they will surely relish. It can be relished with spicy potato onion stir fry !!!!
What you need to have:
1. Toor Dal – 1/2 Cup
2. Green chilis – 4
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Curry leaves – 2 Strands
Ingredients of Toor Dal Varan & ingredients of Seasoning
Ingredients of Wet Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash , soak toor dal for about 10 minutes in water. Wash, slit green chillies and add it to soaked dal.
2. Cook soaked dal in cooker as usual for about 20 minutes till smooth and is as shown in the image below.
Cooked Toor Dal
3. Grind grated coconut, turmeric powder, cumin seeds adding sufficient quantity of water in the mixer to a fine consistency and the masala is as shown here.
4. Place cooked dal on the flame and add ground masala to it adding about 3 cups of water and required quantity of salt and bring it to boil stiring occasionally.
5. Place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add curry leaves to it. Season it to Toor Dal Varan.
Ready to serve Toor Dal Varan
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6 people
Good to remember:
- Always use good quality dal for the dish.
- 2. Cook dal till soft to turn the dish yummy.