Sabudana is nothing but sago, an extract from the tree and processed into pearls which is of immense use . We use it in the preparation of sabudana fritters, papads, kichadi, sweet pudding and also idlis. I was really surprised when one of my friends mentioned this recipe but when prepared it turned out really good. It can even be a fasting dish for Shivrathri and Sankashti. Here it is.
What you need to have
1. Sagu/Sabudana – 1 cup
2. Bombay Sujee – 1 cup
3. Curds/Yoghurt – 2 and 1/2 cups
4. Water – 1/2 cup
Ingredients of Sabudana Idlies
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1Teaspoon
2. Bengal gram Dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Cashews – 2 Tablespoon
4. Kishmish – 2 Tablespoon
5. Grated Carrots – 2 Tablespoon
6. Chopped Green chillies – 1 Teaspoon(Less spicy)
Ingredients of Seasoning
Ingredients of Toppings:
1. Chopped coriander leaves – a handful
2. Green peas – 1/4 cup
3. Fresh grated coconut – 1/2 cup
4. Cooking soda – 1/4 Teaspoon
5. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
6. Salt – to taste
Ingredients of Toppings
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a wide bottomed bowl on medium flame and dry roast Bombay suji till you get a pleasant aroma like you roast for upma. Transfer it to another bowl and keep aside.
2. Warm up sago on medium flame in the same bowl and allow it to cool. Powder it to a coarse consistency in the mixer.
3. Wash, peal and grate carrots, coconut, chop coriander leaves fine, green chillies and keep it aside separately as shown in the image above.
4. Place a wide bottomed bowl with 5-6 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated, add mustard seeds to it. Simultaneously add bengal gram dal as well. When fried add chopped green chillies, cashews, kishmish to it and fry for a minute.
5. Add grated carrot and keep stiring till it crimples . Now add roasted Bombay suji from step-1 to it and switch off the flame. On Cooling, add powdered sago to it from step 2 and the homogenous mixture is here below. Transfer it into a broad bowl
Homogenous Sago idli mixture
6. In the blender bowl just run the curds with cooking soda so that it turns into liquid . Add it to the homogeneous idli mix with required quantity of water. Add salt to taste, grated coconut, coriander leaves, cumin seeds, green peas from step-3. Ready to steam idli mix is as shown in the image below.
Ready to steam Sago idli mix
7. Grease the idli molds and pour the idli batter in it. Place cooker on medium flame and when the water starts boiling place the idli stand and steam it for about 20-25 minutes.
Sabudana idli with coconut chutney
Allow it to just cool for 3-4 minutes. Serve with any chutney of your choice.
Number of Idlis: 24
How long it takes: 45 minutes