Normally I prefer to prepare all powders at home since most branded powders I have tried don’t seem fresh. Sambhar powder is no exception. Moreover a few readers have been requesting this recipe so I thought its time I put this up.
What you need to have:
1. Coriander seeds/Dhania seeds – 3 and 1/2 cups
2. Cumin seeds – 1/3 cup
3. Bengal gram Dal – 1/2 cup
4. Black gram Dal – 1/4 cup
5. Fenugreek seeds – 2 Teasp
6. Pepper – 50 in number
7. Mustard seeds – 1 Tablespoon
8. Asafoetida (soft) – 10 Grams
9. Turmeric powder – 2 Tablespoons
10. Chilli powder(Byadgi ) – 2 and 1/2 cups
Ingredients of Sambar powder
What you do with what you have:
1. Place a broad based bowl on the flame with Bengalgram Dal in it and dry roast the same till you get a pleasant aroma and keep it aside to cool down.
2. In the same bowl dry roast Blackgram Dal as well till you get a pleasant aroma .
3. Mix coriander seeds, cumin seeds and dry roast both of them together till you get a pleasant aroma on a medium/low flame stirring continuously to avoid it from getting burnt.
Switch off the flame and add required quantity of chili powder, turmeric powder and just stir it. So the whole mix other than fried dal is shown below.
Whole masala roast mixture
4. Place a spatula with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated place soft asafoetida in it and fry it till it turns brown and crispy stirring continuously and when done transfer it to step 3.
5. In the same spatula in the left over oil fry fenugreek seeds and mustard together and transfer it to step 3.
6. On cooling dry grind both the dals in a mixer to a medium coarse consistency and keep it aside.
7. Dry grind the whole mixture from step 3 in the mixer to a medium coarse consistency together with the coarse dal powder from step 6.
Ready fresh Sambar powder
Time taken: 1 hour
I have prepared sambar using the same sambar powder and here it is.
Ready to serve Mixed Vegetable Sambar