Beetroot is another colourful vegetable when added to any dish changes the entire look of the dish. It also gives a little sweetish , pleasant flavour to the dish. I had been to a wedding and saw this dish being served as dessert – Beetroot halwa served with a scoop of icecream. I decided to try it at home and it tasted so good with my favorite strawberry icecream that I could not wait to share it with you all.
What you need to have:
1. Grated Beetroot – 1 cup
2. Sugar – 3/4 cup
3. Milk – 1/4 cup
4. Pure ghee – 2 tablespoon
5. nuts – a handful of your choice
6. Cardamom powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Beetroot Halwa
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and grate beetroot and cook it in the pressure cooker for about 15 minutes til it turns soft. Peal and powder cardamom as well and keep it aside.
2. On releasing the pressure transfer it to a skillet and put it on the gas on medium flame.
3. Add milk, half the quantity of ghee and let it cook till it thickens and absorbs the milk.
4. Add sugar and let it cook on medium flame. Stir occasionally and add remaining quantity of ghee as well so that it doesn’t get burnt. Add cardamom powder from step 1 to it and stir well.
5. Decorate it with grated dry fruits like almonds and cashews before serving !
Ready to serve Beetroot Halwa
6. Serve it with a scoop of ice cream of your favorite flavor. Here it is served with a scoop of Strawberry ice cream.
Beetroot Halwa with Strawberry ice cream
Good to know:
1. One can even use condensed milk in place of both normal milk and sugar. Yet another option is to use cream and sugar.
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4