Ram Navmi is the birthday of lord Rama and falls exactly 9 days after the Chandramana Ugadi. It is celebrated in most of the temples like most Hindu festivals. After the pooja the typical prasad offered to the lord is the Mavinkai Pachadi (raw mango) and the Jaggery Panaka. I am putting both of them today.
Ingredients of Mavinkai Pachadi
Ingredients chopped fine
What you need to have:
1. Raw Mango (chopped fine) – 1 cup
2. Cucumber (chopped fine) – 1 and 1/2cup
3. Split Greengram Dal(Moong Dal) – 1/2 cup
4. Green chillies – 2
5. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoon
What you do with what you have
1. Wash, peal and chop cucumber and raw Mango fine and keep it aside separately . Soak Split Greengram Dal in water for about 30 minutes.
2. Chop green chilis, coriander leaves fine. Grate coconut as well.
3. Transfer chopped cucumber and raw mango from step 1 and also chopped coriander leaves, grated coconut from step 2 to a bowl. Drain water from soaked dal and add it too.
4. Crush together salt and chopped green chillies and set aside.
5. Place a spatula with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. On heating, add mustard seeds to it. When it spitters add broken pieces of red chilli, Asafoetida powder, curry leaves to it and season it to the dish.
6. Add crushed green chilly salt mix to the dish while serving.
Ready to serve Mavinkai Pachadi
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5 people