This is a kind of juice/sharbat where jaggery/mollasses (Bella in Kannada) is the sweetening ingredient replacing sugar. We call it Bellada Panaka in Kannada. You can make this with no fuss within 10 minutes. And this is the favorite of my younger son.
What you need to have:
1. Water – 2 cups
2. Jaggery/Mollasses – 1/4 cup
3. Lemon juice – 2 Teaspoons
4. Pepper powder – 1 Teaspoon
5. Cardamom powder – 1/2 Teaspoon6. Dry ginger powder – 1/8 Teaspoon(optional)
Ingredients of Bellada Panak
What you do with what you have:
1. Pour 2 cups of water in a bowl.
2. Crush jaggery fine and keep it aside. Powder pepper fine. Peal cardamom and powder it as well.
3. Mix powdered jaggery into the bowl of water from step 1 and stir well till it dissolves completely and heat it till it boils. Strain it on a clean cloth to get rid of any impurities in it.
4. Add pepper and cardamom powder to the jaggery solution from step-2 and squeeze the lemon juice to it. The Jaggery panak is ready to serve.
Both Panak & Kosambiri in a plate
How long it takes: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 2-3
Good to know: 1. The reason to boil jaggery is to get rid of the raw smell and to get a pleasant aroma of the real jaggery!!!