Any body would be surprised at the name of this recipe. But this dish so easy to prepare and yet tastes so great that there is very little to lose by trying this one. This goes well with rice and some spicy side-dish combination. Or of coure you can sip it like you would sip tomato rasam.
What you need to have:
1. Potatoes – 2-3
2. Green chillies – 3-4
3. Soft asafoetida – Size of a peanut
4. Tamarind – A pinch
5. Chopped coriander leaves – A handful
Ingredients of seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Red chilly – A few pieces
3. Asafoetida powder – A pinch
4. Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
5. Curry leaves – 1 strand
Ingredients of Potato thoy
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal, and cook potatoes in the cooker till soft as usual. Wash and slit green chillies as well and keep it aside. Chop coriander leaves also.
2. On cooling either crush them with your hands or grind it in the mixer to a medium coarse consistency so that small pieces are left over in it.
Cooked potatoes being crushed
3. Add 3-4 glasses of water, slit green chillies from step 1, salt to taste, tamarind and bring it to boil.
4. Dissolve the soft asafoetida in a little water and add it to the dish while boiling itself. Add chopped coriander leaves from step 1 to the dish.
5. Place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add cumin seeds, asafoetida powder , red chili pieces one after the other. Lastly add curry leaves and season it to the dish and close the lid for about 5 minutes.
Ready to serve Potato Thoy
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Serves: 2-3 people