Churmuri /Puffed rice is used in snacks – in fact it is the main ingredient in an entire class of Indian Street food – Chaat. But I am not sure everybody here will know of Laddoos made of puffed rice. If you have seen them but wondered how you could make some at home, here is the recipe.
What you need to have:
1. Churmure/Puffed rice – 3 cups
2. Roasted peanuts – 1/2 cup
3. Chikki Jaggery – Little more than 1/4 cup
4. Cardamom – 5-6
5. Pure ghee – 2 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Churmure laddu
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve puffed rice in the sieve. Add roasted peanuts to it. Powder cardamom and mix all the three ingredients in a plate.
Mixed laddoo ingredients
2. Place a wide bottomed skillet on medium flame with 2 teaspoons of pure ghee in it. On melting, add required quantity of Jaggery/Mollasses to it. Just keep stirring and while it melts completely just put a few drops of syrup in a bowl of normal water. When the droppped juice forms like a pearl and when it turns hard in a moment , switch off the flame and add puffed rice mixture from step 1 to it.
Puffed rice mixture in Jaggery syrup
3. Just tie the laddoos by pressing between the fingers and your palm. They remain crispy for around 15 days if stored in airtight containers on cooling.
Ready to serve Churmure laddoos
Good to remember:
1. The Mollasses used here is the Chikki jaggery – it is called Antu bella in kannada. If normal jaggery is used in the preparation of laddus then there are chances that we sometimes will not be able to tie them at all since the normal jaggery doesn’t contain that edible gum.
Number of Laddoos: 15
How long it takes: 30 minutes