Garlic needs no introduction. A must in the menu of the Masalas, it has no substitutes and the strong flavor it adds is something many of us cannot do without. (Of course its also the kind which can repulse some people with the strong smell.) The flavor aside, its healthy too and in fact doctors advise people to eat one or two pods of raw garlic daily in the early morning to help out the purification of blood.
Garlic Chutney powder that I am putting up today is the simplest to prepare chutney powder. I have added quite a few dry powders – Hurikadle Chutney powder, sesame dry chutney powder and Peanut powder and yet another.
What you need to have:
1. Fresh grated copra – 2 cups
2. Chili powder (Byadgi) – 4 Teaspoons
3. Garlic pods – 30-40
4. Tamarind – 1 ” piece
5. Salt – To taste
Ingredients of Garlic chutney powder
What you do with what you have:
1. Grate copra and peal garlic and keep it aside as shown in the image above.
2. Place a wide skillet on medium flame with grated copra in it and dry roast it till it turns just light brown. Switch off the flame and add required quantity of chlli powder to it and stir well. When the mixture is warm add tamarind to it so that it will become soft and also a little tangy !
3. When the mixture is cooled add pealed raw garlic pods and required quantity of salt to it.
Dry roasted copra and Chili powder and Raw Garlic pods
4. Grind the above roasted ingredients from step 3 in the mixer to a coarse consistency. Enjoy with Chapathi and also Jwari Rotis. This chutney powder can be used in place of Red chutney for Masala dosa as well.
Ready to serve Garlic chutney powder
How long it takes: 45 minutes