Bread upma is a traditional dish which I have enjoyed from my childhood days. Those days it was very simple in the sense that mom was never adding any veggies but just season it for a change in its form. I have modified it just a bit by adding a few veggies and also some dry fruits that go with the rest of the ingredients. It is actually a very crunchy dish which we enjoy as a time pass food not when you are at the hungriest.
What you need to have:
1. Bread pieces 4-5 cups
2. Chopped Capsicum – 1 Cup
3. Fresh Green peas – 1/4 cup
4. Tomato chopped – A handful
5. Kishmish – 2 Tablespoons
6. Chopped onion – 1/4 cup
7. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
8. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. Chlli powder – 1 Teaspoon
10. Cumin seeds -1/2 Teaspoon
11. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoons
12. Finely chopped coriander leaves – 2 Tablespoons
13. Cooking oil – 5-6 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Bread Upma
Toppings & Bread slices
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and chop onions, chop tomato, capsicum, coriander leaves fine. Also grate coconut and keep it aside as shown above.
2. Just break bread slices into small pieces and keep it separately.
Bread slices cut into pieces
3. Place a skillet with 5-6 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on a medium flame. On heating add mustard seeds to it. On spluttering add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, chili powder one by one.
4. Add chopped Capsicum from step 1 to it let it fry for a while. To it add green peas, Kishmish and let it soften for a while. Add chopped tomatoes and fry for a while. At this point add onions and required quantity of salt to the dish and fry it till it turns transparent.
5. Lastly add broken bread pieces and stir for a minute. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and grated coconut.
And the dish is ready to be enjoyed with some snacks.
Ready to serve Bread Upma with snacks
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4