Almonds are very good from the point of view of health. A good ‘recipe’ is to soak a few almonds in water overnight and have it with milk the next morning. One can even grind it with milk add a little sugar and saffron and consume it as a beverage. We always use Almonds in almost all sweets, sometimes as large pieces or else grate it and sprinkle on top. Today I would like to put up Almond burfi. No introductions for we are all familiar with this delicacy. See other Burfi posts on this blog.
What you need to have:
1. Almonds – 1 Cup
2. Sugar – 1 and 1/2 cups
3. Milk -1 cup(I have used Good life or Amul taja (branded milk)
4. Pure ghee – 2 tablespoons (Amul ghee)
5. Saffron strands – A few
6. Cardamom – 5-6
Ingredients of Almond Burfi
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak almonds overnight in water and peal them. Peal and powder cardamom to a fine consistency and keep it aside.
2. Grind the pealed almonds with milk and sugar to a fine consistency and transfer the same to a wide bowl.
The ground Almond burfi mix
3. Place the bowl of Almond burfi mix on medium flame adding 1 tablespoon ghee and stir continuously. Lower the flame and when the mix starts thickening add the remaining ghee and also powdered cardamom from step 1 and also saffron strands to it. When the mix thickens to about the consistency of a chapati dough switch off the flame .
Almond burfi ready mix
4. Just spread the mix on a wooden plank ( or the backside of a steel plate ) and cut into required shape and size. The image below is when i used 2 cups sugar for the burfi mix!
Ready Burfi mix spread and cut into pieces
5. Ready to serve Almond burfi is as shown in the image below.
This image is when I added 1 and 1/4 cup sugar which turned out a little soft. This allows you to wait a while before cutting but it has a short shelf life of around 10 days at room temperature.
Ready to serve Almond Burfi
Another image of the same burfi when I added exactly 1 and 1/2 sugar. This has a shelf life of more than 20 days at room temperature but has to be cut immediately.
Ready to serve Almond burfi
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of Burfis: 50