Bombay Suji Idlis is one of the varieties of Idli ( see other Idlis on this blog ) I prepare at home. This dish is ideal for fasting during the Sankashti , Shivrathri and also Ekadashi. It is also a diet for the diabetic patients. The sujee is made of Jwari and is suitable for diabetic patients since it is light on the stomach and is easily digestable. The recipe is also very simple but I personally prefer the normal rice Idli more. As usual the left over idlies can be shallow fried.
What you need to have:
1. Blackgram Dal – 1 Cup
2. Bombay sujee – 1 and 1/3 Cup
3. Salt – To taste
4. Water to Soak and Grind Dal – 3 and 1/4 cup
Ingredients of Bomby sujee idlies
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash Blackgram Dal 2-3 times , drain it and soak it in the above mentioned quantity of water for about 3 hours.
2. Place a wide bottomed bowl on medium flame with required quantity of Bombay Sujee in it. Add a teaspoon of cooking oil and roast it till you get a pleasant aroma but make sure it doesn’t get burnt. One can even steam sujee in a clean cloth for around 15 minutes in the cooker containers like we steam idlies and on cooling and add it to the fermented dal batter next morning.
Roasted Bombay Sujee/Rava
3. Grind soaked dal in mixer/grinder to a fine consistency adding water in steps so that when you pour the ground batter in the bowl it will fall in layers. (like the cake dough) The ground batter is here below. Add required quantity of salt and keep it aside for fermentation overnight.
The ground Dal batter
Fermented Dal batter
5. Mix roasted Sujee from step 2 to it , stir well and keep it aside for 10 minutes
Ready to steam Idli batter
6. Grease the Idli maker and pour Idli batter in Idli moulds and steam it in cooker for only 10 mniutes. (After the water in the cooker starts boiling.)
Idli moulds being filled with idli batter
7. Serve steamed smooth Idlis with any super chutney of your choice.
Bombay sujee Idlis with chutney
Number of Idlis: 20-30