Capsicum/Bell pepper is a versatile vegetable – I have already put up Capsicum Masala ( version 1 and version 2 ) both of which have attracted a huge number of views, so I did not hesistate in putting this one up. We use Banana leaves to pat this roti ( instead of rolling ), I also know of people who use thick plastic sheets. Roasting this roti one has to be careful since it can get burnt pretty fast. It is easy to prepare and a good change from the usual plain rotis.
What you need to have:
1. Rice atta – 1 and 1/2 cup
2. Capsicum chopped fine – 1 cup
3. Fresh grated coconut – 1/4 cup
4. Chopped coriander leaves – 1/6 cup
5. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
6. Water to mix – 3/4 cup
7. Salt – to taste
8. Banana leaf or Thick plastic sheet – 2 or 3
Ingredients of Capsicum Rotis
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop capsicum, onion, coriander leaves fine, grate coconut and keep aside.
2. Transfer all the chopped ingredients to a bowl and mix rice atta , salt, cumin seeds and sufficient quantity of water to it and prepare the dough.
Capsicum roti dough
2. Clean the Banana leaf and spread a portion of the dough as shown below. Dip your hands in water and spread the dough to the required thickness.
Roti dough being placed on the Banana leaf
Roti dough spread on the Banana leaf
3. Place a Dosa griddle on the flame with one or two teaspoons of cooking oil /butter . When heated just place the leaf facing upside with the roti on the griddle.
with Banana leaf on the griddle
5. When the roti is fried a little, the leaf comes out on its own as shown in the image below. You may infact use the same leaf to prepare 2-3 rotis.
Banana leaf being detached when roti is done
6. Reverse the roti and fry it on the other side adding little oil/butter on a low flame for about 3-4 minutes.
Roti fried on the other side
Transfer the Roti to a serving plate and serve hot with any chutney powder of your choice or even can be had plain and is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Capsicum roti with chutney powder
Number of rotis: 5-6
Good to remember:
1. One can prepare this roti using different vegetables like the cucumber, carrots etc. The quantity of capsicum, onions may need be altered as per one’s own requirements.
2. Pat it as thin as possible if you like the rotis to be crispy and roast it on a low flame. If you require a soft roti, then it should be spread thick.