This is a garlic flavored variation of the previous recipe – a favorite among people from Nipani, a small town on the border of Karnataka and Maharashtra. They enjoy this dish for any conceivable occasion or even without one ! I learnt this from my neighbor when we stayed there in the early 80s.
What you need to have:
1. Puffed rice – 4 cups
2. Peanuts – 1/2 cup
3. Dalia Dal – 1/4 cup
Ingredients for Seasoning:
1. Chili powder – 1 Teaspoon
2. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
3. Garlic pods – 8-10
4. Salt – to taste
What you do with what you have:
1. In a broad based bowl dry roast peanuts till you get a pleasant aroma on a medium flame. On cooling peal them and break it into halves.
2. Peal the garlic pods, crush them a bit and keep it aside.
3. For seasoning: place a skillet with 5-6 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating add the crushed garlic pods from step 2. On garlic turning to light brown color, simmer the flame and add chili powder, turmeric powder, salt to it and stir well.
4. Add pealed peanuts from step 1, Dalia dal and puffed rice to it and mix well. Add salt as per taste and your Garlic flavored puffed rice mixture is ready !
Ready to serve Garlic Puffed rice Chivda
Good to know
1. In case the puffed rice is a little soggy just dry roast the same well before you prepare chivda in a dry skillet on high flame stirring continuously for 2-3 minutes.
2. We normally donot use toppings for this chivda since it loses the flavor of garlic.