Puffed rice – Churmuri – is a classic time pass snack. I would love to put up this recipe which is an all-time favorite of my children. I particularly recommend this as a party/picnic dish.
What you need to have:
1. Puffed rice – 4 cups
2. Peanuts – 1/2 cup
3. Dalia-Dal – 1/4 cup
4. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
5. Red chilies – 1
6. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
7. Chili powder – 1 Teaspoon
8. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
9. Curry leaves – 2 Strands
10. Coriander seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
12. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
13. Salt – to taste
14.Oil for seasoning-6 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Puffed rice mixture
Pealed peanuts and other ingredients
What you do with what you have:
1. Clean puffed rice to remove the tiny puffed rice which are a little hard .
2. Dry roast Peanuts till you get a pleasant aroma, peal it and keep it aside.
3. And as the normal seasoning process goes: place a skillet with about 5-6 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it on a medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds in it. When sputters, lower the flame and add red chili pieces, chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, cumin seeds one by one.
4. Add curry leaves and salt. Also add Dalia Dal, roasted peanuts from step 2 and cleaned puffed rice from step 1 to the seasoning and stir well. Add coriander seeds and switch off the flame. Puffed rice mixture is ready !
On cooling store it in air tight containers and they should remain afresh for about 10 days at least if fresh oil is used in the seasoning. You can relish them with toppings of your choice. I typically recommend either chopped coriander leaves and finely chopped onions. Or alternately, some people also love to relish it with chopped coriander leaves and fresh grated coconut.
Puffed rice mixture with toppings
Puffed rice mixture with coconut & corriander leaves
How long it takes: 30 minutes