Pumkin – thats Dhudhi in konkani and Sihi kumbala or Chinikayi in Kannada. A versatile vegetable and an ingredient of many a dishes ( see my earlier pumpkin recipe). Today I would like to put up a simple curry which is a frequent lunch side dish at home. Easy to prepare and I would particularly invite those who are starting off cooking to try this – more experienced with cooking might find this to be similar to the general class of dry curries and as such might be familiar with the recipe. ( you must try this instead )
What you neeed to have:
1. Pumpkin chopped – 4 cups
2. Fresh grated coconut – 1/4 cup
3. Peanut powder – 1/4 cup
4. Chopped corriander leaves – A handful
5. Salt – To taste
6. Sugar – Optional
Ingredients for Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Blackgram Dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
5. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Green chillies – 3-4
7. Curry leaves – 2 Strands
A piece of Pumpkin
Ingredients of Pumpkin curry
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and cut Pumpkin into 3/4″ pieces and keep it aside.
2. Chop green chillies, grate coconut, chop corriander leaves seperately as shown in the image above.
3. Place a skillet on the medium flame with peanuts in it. Keep dry roasting the same in such a way that it is fried and you get a pleasant aroma. On cooling, peal it and powder the same and keep it in the same plate as shown in the image above.
4. Place a wide based bowl on the flame with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. On heating, add mustard seeds. When it sputters, add blackgram dal to it and as it turns to light brown, add cumin seeds, Asafoetida powder, Turmeric powder, chopped Green chillies and curry leaves one after another.
5. Finally add chopped pumkin pieces from step 1, salt required for the dish and a pinch of sugar (optional). Keep the lid closed.
6. When cooked add powdered peanuts from step 3 and chopped corriander leaves, grated coconut from step 2 to it and keep the lid closed for a few minutes before you serve.
Ready to serve Pumpkin curry is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Pumpkin curry
Number of servings: 3-4
How long it takes: 30 minutes