Buttermilk, thats Majjige in Kannada and Thaka in Konkani. We prepare a number of dishes with curds and buttermilk. What I am putting up here is a delicacy of Kannadigas of Bangalore and naturally this one is borrowed from one of my friends from Bangalore. Ashguard is the main vegetable used for this dish though occasionally carrots are also used. This one is a good recipe to have in your repertoire for the summers.
What you need to have:
1. Ashguard chopped – 3 cups
2. Carrot chopped – 1/4 cup
Ingredients of Wet Masala:
1. Bengalgram Dal – 2 Tablespoon
2. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
3. Fresh grated coconut – 4 Tablespoons
4. Green chillies – 2-3
5. Turmeric powder -1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Wet Masala
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Red chilly – 1
3. Asafoetida powder -1/2 Teaspoon
4. Curry leaves – 2 Strings
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop Ashguard, carrots into 2″ long pieces and cook in the cooker adding a little salt so that it is not overcooked.
2. Soak Bengalgram Dal in water for about 30 minutes till it is soft – you may pierce with your nails and see if it is done.
3. Drain water from soaked Bengalgram Dal and grind it with grated coconut, green chillies, cumin seeds and turmeric powder to a smooth consistency in the mixer adding water in steps.
The ground Masala
4. Transfer cooked vegetables from step 1 to a bowl and add the ground masala to it. Add sufficient quantity of salt and heat the mixture on a medium flame until it comes to a boil.
5. Once its boiling, turn down the flame, add curds and bring it to boil again.
6. For seasoning: Place a skillet with 3-4 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it. When heated add mustard seeds to it. As it sputters add red chilli pieces, Asafoetida powder and curry leaves and switch off the flame.
Add the seasoning to the dish and your ready to serve Majjige Huli looks like this the image down here.
Ready to serve Majjige Huli
Enjoy as a side dish for Lunch/Dinner.
How long it takes: 45 minutes