Drumstick is a good combination for curry with Brinjal although it does not seem obvious. This is a very simple curry which can be prepared in about 30 minutes including cutting of both the veggies and preparing the curry. It goes very well with rice and dal. Here goes the recipe.
What you need to have:
1. Brinjal (Egg plant) – 4
2. Drumsticks -4
Brinjal and Drumsticks
Ingredients of seasoning & topping:
1. Mustard seeds -1 Teaspoon
2. Cumin seeds -1/2 Teaspoon
3. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
5.Powdered peanuts -4 Teaspoons
6. Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoons
7. Chopped coriander leaves – 2 teaspoons
8. Green chillies – 6-7
Ingredients of Brinjal drumstick curry
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and cut brinjal into pieces and soak it in a bowl of water for about 5 minutes adding 1/2 teaspoon of table salt. Also cut Drumstick into 2″ long pieces as shown in the image above.
2. Dry roast peanuts in a skillet till you get a pleasant aroma and you are able to deskin it. Then powder it to a coarse consistency in the dry grinder as shown in the image above.
3. Slit green chillies, grate coconut and chop sorriander leaves and keep it aside.
4. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame and on heating add mustard seeds into it. When it sputters add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder and slit green chillies from step 3 to it.
5. Add chopped brinjal and drumstick from step 1 to it and also a little water and required quantity of salt to the dish. Keep the lid closed and cook for about 10 minutes.
6. Once cooked, add ground peanut powder, chopped coriander leaves, grated coconut to it and stir well. Ready to serve Brinjal-Drumstick curry is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Brinjal-Drumstick curry
Good to know:
1. Reason to add salt to chopped Brinjal/Egg plant is to get rid of the extra bitter taste and colour if any. Some varieties of brinjal are more bitter than others, ones I used were not bitter.
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 3-4