Parathas are well known and need no introduction. I have already put up a few parathas before but this one is different. This recipe I borrowed from a friend of mine – who served this when I paid her a visit. I was familiar with methi paratha but not this one. I have a Drumstick tree in the garden for the past 15 years and it never struck me of making parathas with its greens. I am told this is particular healthy option for diabetic patients. Here goes the recipe.
What you need to have:
1. Drumstick greens (preferably tender leaves) – 3 cups
2. Wheat atta – 2 cups
3. Onions (medium)-2
4. Corriander leaves – 2 Tablespoons
5. Ginger – 1″piece
6. Garlic cloves – 5-6
7. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
8. Chilli powder – 1 Teaspoon
9. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
10. Garam masala powder – 1 Teaspoon
11. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
12. Sugar – 3/4 Teaspoon
13. Cooking oil to knead – 2-3 teaspoon
Ingredients of drumstick greens paratha
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve wheat atta in the atta siever and keep it aside. Peal garlic cloves, onion, wash and peal ginger as well.
2. Wash and chop greens fine and keep it aside. Also chop onions, garlic cloves, ginger, corriander leaves very fine.
3. Transfer all chopped ingredients from step 2 into a bowl. Add salt , sugar, chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, cumin seeds, cookin oil and squeeze lemon juice to it and mix well. Add sieved wheat atta from step 1 to it and stir well.
4. On mixing add water slowly in steps and make it into a smooth, palable dough and pinch out the required quantity of the dough to roll out into paratha and is as shown in the image below.
Paratha dough and the piched out ball
5. Dust the pinched out ball in wheat atta and roll it on a thick plastic sheet to the required thickness as shown in the image below.
Rolled Paratha on a plastic sheet
6. Place a chapathi griddle on medium flame with 1 teaspoon of oil/pure ghee on it. When heated roast rolled paratha on both the sides till done adding ghee per your preference.
Ready to serve Drumstick green paratha as shown in the image below. Enjoy with either Dry chutney powder/Tomato sauce or even with thin slices of onion and Tomatoes.
Ready to serve Paratha with Dry Peanut chutney powder
Number of Parathas: 10