Raw tomatoes are usually a little tangy in flavour. This curry is simple and easy to prepare. I borrowed this recipe from one of my friends from college days. I find this to be a combination for chapathi or even as a lunch side dish. I must mention that raw tomatos can be used in the preparation of chutney which is a good combination for idlies.
What you need to have:
1. Raw Tomatoes chopped – 2 cups
2. Onions chopped – 3/4 cup
3. Chilli powder – 1.5 teaspoon
4. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
5. Dhania jeera powder – 2/3 teaspoon
6. Salt – To taste
7. Chopped corriander leaves – a handful
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop tomatoes lengthwise and also peal, chop onions lengthwise and keep them aside separate. Wash and chop corriander leaves as well and keep it aside.
2. Place a broad based bowl on a medium flame with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. On heating add chopped onions from step 1 and keep stiring till it turns transparent. Add required quantity of salt to it so that it does not get burnt.
3. When onions turn transparent add turmeric powder, chilli powder and dhania-jeera powder and stir well. Add chopped tomatoes from step 1 and keep stiring on low flame. When it is cooked and become a soft switch off the flame, add chopped corriander leaves from step 1 and your dish is ready !
Enjoy the curry with either chapathi or even curd rice/Dal rice.
How long it takes: 20 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5