Carrots are a rich source of vitamin A and are a frequent ingredient among salads. Besides, moong dal is a good ingredient to have for salads/cosambari. I have already a few salads in the recent weeks and today I would like to put up yet another one – Carrot and Moongdal cosambari(salad). This is the delicacy of the Kannadigas from Bangalore. Since I grew up in Bangalore, all of us loved having the salad atleast once a week. The recipe is very simple and can be prepared in a span of just 10 minutes if Moong dal is soaked in advance for about 20 minutes.
What you need to have:
1. Grated carrots – 2-3 cups
2. Moong Dal – 1/4 cup
3. Grated Coconut – 2 Tablespoons
4. Green chillies- 2-3(less spicy)
5. Lemon juice- 2 Teaspoons
6. Corriander leaves chopped – 1 tablespoon
Ingredients of seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
2. Redchilly – 1
3. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 teaspoon
4. Curry leaves – 1 string
5. Salt- to taste
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and grate carrots, coconut as shown in the image above. Chop corriander leaves, green chillies as well and keep it aside.
2. Wash moongdal 2-3 times and soak in water for about 20 minutes.
3. Transfer grated carrots, coconut and chopped corriander leaves to a bowl and squeeze lemon juice to it and keep it aside. Also squeeze chopped green chillies and required quantity of salt and keep it aside.
4. Drain water from soaked dal completely from step 2 and add the same into the bowl in step 3.
5. Place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on medium flame. On heating add Mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add red chilly pieces, asafoetida powder, and curry leaves and when fried season it to the salad.
6. Lastly add green chilly salt mix from step 5 to the salad and serve.
Ready to serve Carrot-Moongdal cosambri is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Carrot-Moong-Dal Cosambri
How long it takes: 30 minutes (including 20 minutes for soaking of dal)
Number of servings: 6-8