Greens are available in ample varieties. In a place like Bangalore there happens to be seperate section for the greens in the vegetable market. Nowadays in the super markets you get a variety of greens and you can pick and choose your favorite variety of greens. Within Amaranth leaves itself there are two varieties – red and green. I personally prefer the red color for the taste and the color. This masala I am putting up is a good combination for chapathis as well as rice and dal. We call it Thamdi Bhajhi in Konkani and Hariive in Kannada and Keerai in Tamil. Here it goes.
What you need to have:
1. Red Amaranth leaves chopped – 2.5 cups
2. Toor dal -1/4 cup
3. Water to cook – 1 cup
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Onions chopped fine – 2
2. Tomato chopped – 1
3. Ginger Garlic paste -1 teaspoon
4. Chopped corriander leaves – a handful
5. Chilli powder – 1.5 teaspoon
6. Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
7. Garam masala powder – 1/2 teaspoon
8. Dhania jeera powder – 1/2 teaspoon
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop Red Amaranth leaves fine as shown in the image and keep it aside.
2. Wash Toor dal and place it in the cooker with chopped leaves and cook it adding 1 cup water as usual for 20 minutes till soft.
3. Wash and chop Tomato, Onion , corriander leaves fine and keep it aside.
4. Place a skillet with 4-5 reaspoons of cooking oil on a medium flame. When heated add chopped onions from step 3 to it and add required quantity of salt to it and fry it till the onions turn transparent.
5. When onions are half done add chopped tomatoes from step 3 to it and fry well.
6. Add Ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric powder, dhania jeera powder and garam masala powder to the onion tomato fry.
7. Add cooked Dal and Red Amaranth leaves mix from step 2 to the masala in the skillet. Add a little water and salt if required and bring it to boil on medium flame.
8. Add chopped corriander leaves from step 3 to it and serve hot with rice or Chapathi.
Ready to serve Red Amaranth leaves Masala is as shown in the image below.
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6 people