Usually we can prepare a variety of poha like the alu poha, konkani poha and poha upkari etc. This is also a variety that people from North Kanara (North Coastal Karnataka) prepare – adding onion , tamarind, jaggery, and rasam powder. Actually it will be sweet sour in taste and so is different from the other varieties I mentioned above.
This is a good breakfact/tiffin or a lunchbox since it does not need to be consumed hot.
What you need to have:
1. Medium poha- 3 cups
2. Grated fresh coconut- 1/2 cup
3. Tamarind pulp- 2 teaspoons
4. Jaggery- A small piece
5. Salt- To taste
6. Rasam powder-2 Teaspoons
Ingredients of seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 2 Teaspoons
2. Split BlackgramDal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Cumin seeds – 1 Teaspoon
4. Asafoetida powder – 1 Teaspoon
5. Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Green chillies – 3-4
7. Red chilly – 1
8. Onion chopped fine – 1 Cup
9. Cooking oil – 4-5 Teaspoons
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash beaten rice, drain the water and mix rasam powder, grated coconut and keep it aside and is as shown in the image below.
2. Chop green chillies and also chop onions fine as shown in the image above.
3. Mix jaggery, tamarind in 1/2 cup water and bring it to boil and keep it aside.
4. Place a skillet with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on a medium flame. On heating add mustard seeds to it. On sputtering add blackgram dal as well.
5. To this add chopped green chillies, curry leaves and chopped onions from step 3. Also add turmeric powder and required quantity of salt to it and fry untill onions turn transparent stiring ocassionally.
6. When onions turn transparent add washed poha masala mixture from step 1 and jaggery-tamarind mixture from step 3 to it and stir well.
Enjoy masala poha with either Masala peanuts,or any mixture of your choice.
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5 people