Potato gojju is the delicacy of the konkanis, one of those that goes very well with Dalithoy and rice. We normally prepare it in summer when it is very hot down south and we look forward to cool and calm dishes like the salads and the gojju. It is an instant and an easy recipe – no advance planning and tastes great !
What you need to have:
1. Boiled potatoes – 3-4
2. Green chillies – 2
3. Fresh grated coconut- a handful
4. Corriander leaves chopped- a handful
5. Tamarind – a pinch
Ingredients for Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
3. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Red chilly – 1
5. Curry leaves – 2 Strings
Ingredients of Potato Gojju
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, peal and cook potatoes in the cooker as usual till soft.
2. Grate coconut, chop green chillies, corriander leaves fine and set aside seperately.
3. When potatoes are cooked remove it from the cooker and transfer it to a bowl and crush it with you hands on cooling.
4. Mix salt and chopped green chillies together with your hands and squeeze it well and mix it with the cooked potatoes from step 3 adding chopped corriander leaves and grated coconut from step 2 to it.
5. Squeeze tamarind to it, add water and bring it to the required consistency. Taste it and add salt if required.
6. For seasoning, place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons cooking oil in it on medium flame. When heated add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add cumin seeds, asafoetida powder, pieces of red chillies and curry leaves to it.
Mix the seasoning to the dish from step-4 and enjoy it with either dal rice or curd rice. Ready to serve Batate gojju is as shown in the image below. One can even use yoghurt in place of tamarind.
How long it takes: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 3 people