We prepare varieties of idlies and surely moong dal idlies is not as popular as the normal idlies. But then you may want to try it just for the heck for making something different. I borrowed this recipe from my mom. And yes, this needs overnight fermentation.
What you need to have:
1. Blackgram Dal – 1 cup
2. Raw rice sujee- 1 and 1/4 cup
3. Moong dal – 1/2 cup
4. Green chillies chopped – 2
5. Ginger chopped – 2 teaspoons
6. Corriander leaves chopped- A handful
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak Blackgram Dal in water for about 3-4 hours.
2. Grind it in the grinder adding water in steps so that the batter is thick in consistency.
3. Wash and drain rice sujee and keep it aside.
4. Mix ground Black gram dal batter, washed sujee together adding sufficient quantity of salt and keep it for fermentation over night.
5. Next morning wash and soak Moong dal in water for about 1/2 an hour.
6. Grind it to a smooth thick paste and is as shown in the image below.
7. Mix both the batter together thoroughly and add chopped corriander leaves, ginger and green chillies to it as shown in the image below.
8. Mix both the batter well and thorough ( with your hands if necessary) so that Moong dal batter does not remain at the bottom. Greasee the idli moulds and steam idlies as usual ( as with normal idlis ) in the cooker for 20 minutes and enjoy with wet onion chutney. ( See any these varieties of wet chutneys )
How long it takes: 20-30 minutes (other than fermentation time)
Number of servings: 6-8 people