Vangi refers to brinjal in English and goes by the term “Egg plant” in some parts of the world. In an earlier recipe I had put up Suji (Rava) edition of Vangi bhath. The Suji version is made because kids these days don’t look forward to plain upma – but variations like Masala Upma or Vangi Bhath are more palatable somehow.
But no doubt the more common version of Vangi Bhath is made from Rice and that is what I am putting up today. The vangi bhath powder used in this recipe is the same as in the Suji version.
What you need to have:
1. Sona Masoori rice (raw) -1 cup
Ingredients of Vagi bhath gojju:
1. Chopped Brinjal(Egg plant)- 3 cups
2. Grated copra- 3 Teaspoons
3. Vangi bhath powder- 4 Teaspoons
4. Cashews- 1/4 cup
5. Mustard seeds- 1 Teaspoon
6. Blackgram Dal- 1 Teaspoon
7. Red chilly- 1
8. Curry leaves – 2 Strings
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and prepare rice in the cooker as usual in such a way that the rice corns are seperate as shown in the image below. Add 2 teaspoons of cooking oil to it and keep it aside.
2. Wash and chop brinjal into pieces of required size and is as shown in the image above. Soak it in water with 1/2 teaspoon salt for around 5 minutes to eliminate the bitter tinge of brinjal
3. Crush Vangi bhath powder and copra in the dry grinder into fine powder and keep it aside.
4. Place a skillet with 4-6 Teaspoons of cooking oil in it and when heated add mustard seeds. When the seeds starts sputtering add blackgram dal to it. When the dal turns light brown add broken red chilly, cashews & curry leaves to it.
5. Add chopped brinjal pieces from step 2 and also add required quantity of salt needed to the dish. Keep stirring till it is soft.
6. At this point add crushed vangi bhath powder copra mix from step 3 to it and stir well.
The vangi bhath gojju is ready and is as shown in the image below.
7. Now mix rice from step 1 to the Gojju from step 6 and ready to serve Vagi bhath is as shown in the image below.
Enjoy it with cucumber, tomato & onion salad
How long it takes: 60 minutes
Number of Servings: 5-6