Carrots is a good source of vitamin A, certainly good for vision. I have learnt that these days people feed small kids with cooked carrots so they get used to the taste. At home I always keep a stock of carrots in the fridge so that we always have a chance to prepare a simple salad or carrot fry.
Carrot halwa is one of the favorite dishes of all of us siblings since childhood. It turns out to be rich if proper ingredients are aded to the dish. Now being Diwali time I thought of putting up this recipe today. Here it goes!!!!
What you need to have:
1. Grated Carrots(fresh Orange ones) – 3 cups
2. Whole milk – 1 cup
3. Cream (Amul) – 1/4 cup
4. Pure ghee – 1/4 cup
5. Sugar – 1 cup
6. Cardamom – 10-15
7. Cashews – a few
8. Almonds – a few
9. kishmish to decorate A few
Ingredients of Carrot Halwa
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, clean and grate carrots and half the quantity of cashews and almonds above and keep aside. Peal and powder Cardamom as well and powder it.
2. Place a wide bottomed skillet on medium flame with milk and grated carrots in it. Keep stiring and in between add grated cashews, almonds from step 1 and half the quantity of ghee and cream to it. Let it cook till the milk evaporates and its all mixed well.
3. Add sugar and left over quantity of cream and ghee as well and cook it on low flame till it leaves the sides of the skillet. Lastly add cardamom powder and spread it on a plate as shown in the image below.
Carrot Halwa spread on a plate
4. Decorate it with cashews, almonds and kishmish. And there below is your halva.
Decorated Halwa ready to be served
Let it set and you are ready to serve/consume.
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5