Cosambri in kannada/Konkani refers to ‘Salad’. At my place, raw vegetables is a must in the menu for either lunch or dinner and cucumber is certainly one of the most suited. This particular salad is very common in almost all the functions in places like Bangalore, Mysore etc., It is prepared in combination with split green gram dal. This is different from the more familar cucumber salad that is prepared as a side dish for pulav in combination with tomatoes, onions and curd/yogurt. This recipe is easy and can be prepared in a span of 15 minutes provided dal is soaked in advance. Here goes the recipe.
What you need to have:
Ingredients of Cucumber Kosambari/Salad
1.Cucumber chopped 2 cups
2. Green gram dal(split) 1/3 cup
3. Green chillies 2
4. Corriander leaves A handful
5. Grated coconut A handful
6. Lemon juice 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds 1 Teaspoon
2. Asafoetida powder 1 Teaspoon
3. Red chillies 1
4. Curry leaves 1 string
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash dal 2-3 times and soak it in water for about 30 minutes.
2. Wash, peal and chop cucumber fine so that it matches well with dal in terms of size and keep it aside.
3. Grate coconut and also chop green chillies, corriander leaves fine. Mix salt with the chopped green chilly and keep it aside so that it can be mixed while serving.
4. Meanwhile, when the dal is soaked properly, drain the water completely and mix it with chopped cucumber.
5. Add grated coconut and chopped corriander leaves to it and also squeeze lemon juice.
6. Place a spatula with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. On heating add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add Asafoetida powder, Redchilly and curry leaves and switch off the flame and season the salad.
Ready to serve Cucumber Cosambri is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Cucumber cosambri