Puliyogare is the Tamilnadu delicacy. It is now available in almost all the restaurants in places like Bangalore. We can also prepare at home using the mix available commercially – there is a choice of quite a few brands with most notable being MTR. However, me having brought up in Bangalore and with many childhood friends from Tamilnadu, I am used to the authentic Poliyogare taste and hence prefer to make the mix at home. This is a recipe I borrowed from my one of my friends – it uses the mix posted in the previous post. This is one of the weekend dishes at home and everyone loves this one. And I hope you guys do too !
What you need to have:
1. Rice – 1 cup
2. Puliyogare mix
3. Cooking oil 3-4 Teaspoons
Sona Masoori rice washed
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash rice corns and keep it aside for about 10 minutes so that it is dries up.
2. Prepare rice in the cooker as usual so that the rice corns are separate and do not touch each other. (Adding if old rice 1:1 and 3/4 water or so) The rice prepared should be as shown in the image below. Allow it to cool and add 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil and mix well .
2. When rice is cooled mix Puliyogare Masala ( See earlier recipe ) and serve it cool when ready. This dish is always served cool only, since the Masala is mixed with rice only when the rice corns are cooled. The left over will taste even better the next day. Ready to serve Puliyogare is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Puliyogare rice
Ready to serve Puliyogare with Potato chips
Good to know:
1. The measurement of puliyogare masala which I have put up in my earlier post is sufficient for 1 heaped cup of rice, but make sure that you taste and then add the additional masala since the chilly powder one uses depends upon the spice level of that chilly.
2. The dish should be sour & medium spice. If the masala is prepared well in advance then time taken to prepare the dish should be only around 30 minutes. One can prepare this dish with even left over rice , provided rice corns is separate, else it will be tasteless.