Dal fry is the delicacy of North india. I have already put up Dalithoy and Rasam which are purely South Indian delicacies , but this Masala Dal is something unique and tastes heavenly. For this dish I use four types of Lentils namely Tuvar Dal, Split Green gram Dal, Chickpeas Dal and Masoor Dal in a specified proportion. Some prepare this dish only with Tuvar dal. With the combination of theses four Lentils it really tastes something different and great. So even if you have your regular Dal Fry recipe that uses just 1-2 types of Dal, this should be something on your to-do list.
What you need to have:
1. Tuvar Dal 1/2 cup
2. Chick peas Dal 1Table spoon
3. Green gram Dal 1 Table spoon
4. Masoor Dal 1 Table spoon
Ingredients of Masala Dal
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Onion (medium) 2
2. Tomato(optional) 1
3. Green chillies 2
4. Ginger chopped 1/4 Teaspoon
5. Garlic cloves chopped 1/4 Teaspoon
6. Corriander leaves 2 Teaspoon
7. Chilli powder 1/4 Teaspoon
8. Turmeric powder 1/2 Teaspoon
9. Garam Masala powder 1/4 Teaspoon
10. Cumin seeds 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Peal and chop onions, green chillies, garlic, cloves, tomatoes and coriander leaves fine as shown in the image above and keep it aside.
2.Wash and soak all the four Lentils in water for about 20 minutes. Add a pinch of Turmeric powder, 2 teaspoons of cooking oil and cook in the cooker as usual till done. Cooked Dals would be as shown in the image below.
3. Place a broad based skillet on the flame with either cooking oil or a mixture of clarified butter and ghee in it. On heating add cumin seeds. On sputtering, add chopped onions from step 1, turmeric powder (optional for additional flavor since you have already added earlier on) and required quantity of salt to it. Fry till it turns transparent.
4. When done add chopped tomatoes and stir it in such a way that it is mixed well with the onions. Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies from step 1 to it and lastly add any remaining turmeric powder, chilli powder, Garam masala powder and stir well. This seasoning mix is as shown in the image below.
5. Mix cooked Lentils from step-2 to the above seasoning and bring it to boil on a low flame stirring continuously adjusting the consistency adding required quantity of water to it. Add chopped corriander leaves from step 1 and serve hot with either rice or even rottis. Ready to serve Dal fry is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Dal Fry (with Tomato)
Ready to serve Dal fry (without Tomatoes)
Good to remember:
1. With tomatos, the Dal Fry can be become tangy and overshadow some of the flavor coming out of the mixture of the 4 types of Lentils. So whether you want to add tomatos is entirely up to taste.