Vegetable kurma is a delicacy of Karnataka and is a very popular dish served as a combination with Ghee rice/Puri/Parata. My mom used to prepare this in my childhood days. This recipe though has evolved from my mom’s recipe via experiences and consultation with a few friends over the years. Kurma is one of the unanimously favored dishes in my family.
Even though its just vegetables in some gravy, it takes a little while to prepare – but certainly ideal for a weekend evening with Puri/Chapati.
THE RECIPE LINK OF YOUTUBE IS HERE https://youtu.be/EYgdy_hS3Yg. kINDLY CLICK THIS TO REACH FOR THE SAME VEG-KURMA RECIPE!!!
What you need to have:
1. Fresh Green Peas/Tinned 1 cup
2. French Beans 1/4 cup
3. Carrrots diced 1/4 cup
4. Potatoes chopped 1/4 cup
Ingredients of Veg-Kurma
Ingredients of Seasoning:
1. Onions chopped 2 Tablespoons
2. Masala leaf/Tej patha 1
3. Turmeric powder 1/4Teaspoon
4. Cumin seeds 1 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Seasoning
Ingredients for Masala:
1. Fresh grated coconut 1/2 cup
2. Green chillies 3
3. Ginger 1/2 ” piece
4. Garlic cloves 5-6
5. Coriander leaves 2 Tablespoons
6. Onion one small
7. Turmeric powder 1/2 Teaspoon
8. Garam masala powder 1/2 Teaspoon(home made)
9. Cashews 8-10
10. Tamarind pulp 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Wet Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and cut beans, carrots, potatoes lengthwise as shown in the image above and cook it in the cooker. As usual add a little salt to avoid overcooking them.
2. Chop onions also lengthwise as shown in the image above.
Ready Ground Masala
4. Place a wide bottomed bowl on the flame with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. On heating add Tej patha and on frying add half the quantity of cumin seeds to it. On sputtering add the chopped onions, turmeric powder and a little salt to it. (The rest of the cumin seeds are to be added at the end for extra flavour.)
5. When onions turn transparent, add the ground Masala from step 3 to it and stir well for about two minutes on a low flame. When done add cooked vegetables from step 1 to it.
6. Add salt if necessary to adjust taste and add water to adjust the consistency. Garnish with chopped corriander leaves and the remaining cumin seeds.
Ready to serve Veg-Kurma
Serve with Roti/Chapathi/Ghee rice.
Veg Kurma with Chapathis