“Ek pan” in Konkani is called Centella in English (Ondelage in Kannada). Its a creeper and like many creepers very healthy and grows all over the place in the rainy season – they just come up wherever there are left over roots of this leaf. My grany used to say that eating one or two leaves raw in the early morning enhances the memory power (!). Especially if it is given to kids from their young ears it apparently makes their memory superior I am told ( no independent confirmation though ). Apparently it has other medicinal values like purification of blood and relief from whooping cough.( See wikipedia for more on this )
Here is a recipe for wet chutney prepared with Centella with a few ingredients
What you need to have:
1. Ek pan/Centella 2 cups
2. Grated coconut 1/2 cup
3. Split Black gram dal(Roasted) 1/4 cup
4. Corriander leaves A handful
5. Ginger 1/2″piece
6. Green chillies(not spicy) 2
7. Tamarind 1/2 ” piece
8. Salt As per taste
Ingredients of Ek Panna chutney
Ingredients for Seasoning:
1. Mustard seeds 1/2 Teaspoon
2. Cumin seeds 1/4 Teaspoon
3. Red chillies 1
4. Curry leaves 1-2 strings
What you do with what you have:
1. Clean, wash and cut the greens fine and keep it aside. Wash and cut ginger and also corriander leaves fine.
2. Place a thick bottomed bowl on the flame and dry roast Black gram Dal to light brown till you get a pleasant aroma.
3. Place a spatula on the flame with a teaspoon of cooking oil in it. On heated fry green chillies in it for a minute as shown in the image above.
4. Mix all the ingredients from step-1, 2, and 3 in a mixy bowl. Add salt and sufficient quantity of tamarind to it. Grind it to the required consistency adding water in steps.
5.Transfer the ground chutney to a serving bowl. Place a spatula with 2-3 teaspoons of cooking oil in it. On heating add Mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add cumin seeds, red chillies and lastly curry leaves to it. Add the seasoning to the chutney.
Serve it with lunch/Dinner as side dish or with Chapathi and Rotis too. Ready to serve Ek panna chutney is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Ek panna chutney
How long it takes: 25 minutes
What to remember
1. The roots are also used washing it a number of times. It is the roots that have much of the medicinal values. Some people even use garlic as an ingredient for the chutney.
2. It is a very mild dish . So i have not used any other strong ingredient for the same.