Rice is the staple food in most of South India. Often though for a change, we have a variation on the rice + grvy + curry model and instead go for lunches consisting of Pulav, Biriyani, coconut rice, Tamarind rice, Puliyogare, Bisi Bele Bhath etc. Lemon rice/Chitranna is yet another in the same category. In homes it is prepared normally from the left over rice from earlier in the day or previous night. It can be prepared within 15 minutes if you prefer a simple seasoning i.e. green chilly and curry leaves. A more elaborate version where you add onions, peanuts etc. should not take more than 25 minutes. This dish is a perfect lunch box.
What you need to have:
1. Prepared rice – 2 cups
2. Lemon juice – 1 Teaspoon
3. Fresh grated coconut -1 Tablespoon
4. Corriander leaves – A handful
1. Mustard seeds – 1 Teaspoon
2. Black gram Dal – 1 Teaspoon
3. Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
4. Asafoetida powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
5. Turmeric Powder – 1 Teaspoon
6. Green chillies – 2
7. Curry leaves – 2 Strings
8. Peanuts – A handful
9. Onion (Big) – 1
10. Oil to season – 4 Teaspoons
Ingredients of Lemon rice
What you do with what you have:
1. Chop onion very fine and chop green chilly and set aside. Add lemon juice , grated coconut to the rice and set it aside.
2. Place a skillet with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. On heating add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add Black gram dal to it. On it being roasted add peanuts to it. When it is fried, add cut green chilly from step 1 and curry leaves to it. Also add turmeric powder and cumin seeds.
3. Add finely chopped onion from step 1 and required quantity of salt to the dish & fry the onions till they are transparent on a medium/low flame. Lastly add asafoetida powder to the fried onions.
4. Now mix the rice ,lemon juice, and grated coconut mix from step 1 to the seasoning and garnish it with chopped corriander leaves and mix well.
Ready to serve Lemon rice is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Lemon Rice
No of servings : 2
How long it takes: 25 Minutes