Although the Mango season is almost coming to an end in South India, I still thought I should put up this popular mango sweet dish today – better late than never !
Aamras – meaning ‘Mango syrup/juice’ has several variations – its prepared with Jaggery/Mollasses and coconut milk. Or sugar and coconut milk. Or just sugar and milk. Here I am putting up the simplest preparation. Mangos must be ripe and of good quality.
What you need to have:
1. Mango pieces 2-3 cups
2. Thick skimmed milk 200 ml
3. Sugar As per taste
4. Seedless dates a handful
5. Cashews a handful
6. Cardamom 4-5
Ingredients of Aamras dish
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash, clean and cut the Mango into small pieces and set it aside.
2. Grate cashews and cut seedless dates as well into small pieces and keep it separately. Peal Cardamom and crush into fine powder also.
3. Grind Mango pieces , sugar, and milk in the mixer/blender to a thick consistency and transfer the contents to a serving bowl.
4. The Mango mix you have is the Aamras – garnish it with grated cashews and date pieces from Step 2. Also sprinkle the Cardamom powder from Step 3.
Ready to serve Aamras is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Aamras
This is a common combination with Puris, as shown in the image below.
Aamras served with Puri
How long it takes: 20-25 minutes (not including Puri !)