In my previous post on shallow frying kantolas, I mentioned that they can be deep-fried as well. And some might even prefer it that way. For this dish we have to grind a wet masala and the sliced Kantolas are to be dipped in it and deep fried in oil and served hot. We usually prefer to deep fry if you want to mass-produce – like festivals where shallow frying can be tedious and time-consuming. This is the most favorite in my family.
What you need to have:
1. Raw rice 1/2 cup
2. Red chilli 2-3
3. Tamarind 1/2″ piece
4. Asafoetida(soft) – 1 peanut sized piece
Ingredients of Masala
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak rice in water for about 1/2 an hour.
2. Place a spatula with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated add chilli and fry it for a minute.
3. Drain water from soaked rice from step 1 and grind it with chilli, tamarind, salt and asafoetida in the mixer adding sufficient quantity of water to a medium coarse consistency.
4. Transfer the ground masala to a bowl and dip Kantola slices in it and it is as shown in the image below.
Kantola slices dipped in Masala and Masala in the bowl
5. Place a skillet with 1 cup cooking oil in it on the flame. When heated deep fry the Kantola slices in it till it turns deep red.
Serve hot with rice and Dalitoy or any other side dish. The deep fried Kantolas is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Deep fried Kantolas
This is not just a Kantola thing – you can fry any vegetable of your choice in this Masala. In fact, left over masala can be stored in the refregerator and can be used for any other podi later on.
Deep Fried Raw Bananas
Raw Bananas also can also be shallow fried and also deep fried as said above. The procedure is the same but I am putting up pictures for your viewing pleasure.
The Banana tree with a Banana bunch from my kitchen garden is shown below. We keep plucking every now and then and use in our cooking.
The Banana tree with a bunch
1. Wash and slice the bananas apply salt and set it aside and is as shown in the image below.
Bananas sliced and applied salt
Deep fried Banana slices
Here below is what you get when you shallow fry them.
Shallow fried Banana slices