Spinach (Vali bhaji in Konkani) is also one among the many greens available in the market. Its available most of the year except the 4 months when it rains. In fact palak though is very similar to spinach, in my part of the world, spinach is more readily available.
We prepare a number of dishes with spinach like paratas, spinach in coconut gravy and spicy spinach dish with garlic. Spinach in Moong Dal is a simple recipe but very delicious and tasty but not spicy. Even the kids would enjoy. Here it goes ! Spinach leaves
What you need to have:
1. Chopped Spinach 3 cups
2. Moong Dal 1/4 cup
3. Green chilly 2
1. Garlic cloves As per taste
2. Red chilly 2
What you do with you have:
1. Wash and cut spinach leaves to a fine consistency to match Moong Dal and set it aside. Also slit green chilly length wise and peal garlic cloves as well.
2. Wash Moong Dal thoroughly 2-3 times and soak it in water for about 10 minutes in cooker itself.
3. Add cut spinach and slit chilly to the soaked Moong Dal and cook it in cooker as usual till done.
4. On cooking transfer it to another bowl and bring it to boil adding sufficient quantity of salt on a medium flame stirring ocassionally.
5. Place a spatula with 3-4 teaspoons of cooking oil. On heating, crush garlic cloves and fry it till it turns brown. Add also red chilly pieces and fry it for a minute. Add the garlic seasoning to the cooked dal spinach mix.
Ready to serve dish is as shown in the image below and it goes very well with rice.
What to remember
1. Whenever cooked Moong Dal is to be heated care should be taken to see that it should be boiled on medium or even low flame while stiring all the time. The reason being that Moong Dal has the tendency to stick to the bottom and burn the dish very fast.
2. Stir well soon after seasoning and keep the lid closed so that the aroma of the seasoning is retained.
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 4-5