This version of the Idli Upma is the most popular one among the households in much of South India. But in my family we like the other two versions which I added last week. It is a good lunch box for office going folks (unlikely though for kids). It is easy to prepare in the morning rush since it takes barely 10 minutes if you Idlis from previous morning.
What you need to have:
– Powdered idli 2 cups
– Fresh grated coconut 2 tablespoons
– Coriander leaves A handful
– Lemon juice 1 Teaspoon
– Mustard seeds 1 Teaspoon
– Blackgram Dal 1 Teaspoon
– Green chilli 2
– Curry leaves 2 Strings
– Red chilli 1
– Turmeric powder 1 Teaspoon
– Asafoetida powder 1 Teaspoon
– Cumin seeds 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingredients of Idli Upma
What you do with what you have:
1. Powder idlis with your hand, squeeze lemon juice to it and set it aside. Grate coconut, chop corriander leaves also and add to the mixture.
2. Wash and cut green chilli, wash and seperate curry leaves from the string and set it aside.
3. Place a skillet with 3-4 tespoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. On heating add mustard seeds to it. On sputtering add blackgram dal to it. When fried add cut green chilli, curry leaves and red chilli to it.
4. Add turmeric powder, cumin seeds, Asafoetida powder to it and just stir it for a while. Add the idli mixture from step 1 to it and allow it to warm up on the low flame.
Serve hot with tea or coffee. Ready to serve Idli Upma is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Idli Upma
How long it takes: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 4