Poha is beaten rice, of which at least 3 varieties are commonly available in the market – thin, thick and nylon. I prepare a few different dishes from poha like the Konkani poha, Roasted Poha Curry, Sweet Poha etc.
Alu Poha is a Maharashtrian dish. For this dish we need the medium thick variety of poha. Its rather simple to prepare and even amateurs among you can give a shot.
What you need to have:
– Medium poha – 3 cups
– Fresh grated coconut – 2 Tablespoons
– Corriander leaves – a handful
Ingredients of Alu Poha
-Mustard – 1 Teaspoon
-BlackgramDal – 1 Teaspoon
-Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
-Green chilli – 4-5
-Curry leaves – 2 strings
-Asafoetida powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
-Turmeric powder – 1 Teaspoon
-Onions(Big) – 2
-Potatoes(big) – 2
What you do with what you have:
1. Soak poha (medium) in water for about 5 minutes. Squeeze out water, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and keep aside.
2. Wash and cut green chilli, chop corriander leaves and also grate coconut and keep aside.
3. Chop onions fine, as if to match the size of the poha itself. Wash, peal, cut potatoes to similar dimensions.
4. Place wide bottomed bowl on medium flame with 4-5 teaspoons of cooking oil. On heating add mustard seeds to it. When it sputters add blackgram dal. Once it is fried add chopped green chilli, curry leaves, cumin seeds, Turmeric powder and asafoetida powder to it.
5. Add finely chopped potatoes from step 3 to the seasoning and let it cook for a while on a low flame. Keep it closed with a lid and Sprinkle a little salt to it.
6. When potatoes are cooked, add finely chopped onions and salt to taste. Keep stiring till onions turn transparent.
7. Mix poha to the seasoning from step 1 and close the lid of the bowl while letting it heat on low flame.
8. After a while just flip the mixture and add grated coconut, chopped corriander leaves to it.
Ready to serve Alu poha is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Alu poha
How long it takes: 45 Minutes
Number of servings: 3-4 people