..again for want of a better English name I made it totally descriptive.
Much like rice is a staple in South (and East) India, wheat is in the North. But nowadays wheat is popular in the South because of chapatis.
The recipe I am putting up today takes me back to my childhood vacations at my grany’s place when my uncle bought this snack from a nearby restaurant. It is called by the name “gatti baje”. Gatti means hard and baje refers to “fried stuff”.
What you need to have:
– Wheat atta – 1 cup
– Milk powder – 2 Teaspoons
– Sunflower oil or Ghee – 7-8 Teaspoons
– Chilli powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
– Cumin seeds – 1/2 Teaspoon
– Green chilli – 1
– Curry leaves – 2 strings
– Ginger – 1/2″ Piece
– Grated coconut 1 – Teaspoon(optional)
– Salt to taste
– Water little less than 1/4 cup
Ingredients of Wheat atta Balls
What you do with what you have
1. Sieve wheat atta and milk powder twice in fine atta siever so that both are evenly mixed. Add required quantity of salt to it.
2. Cut Green chilli, ginger, curry leaves to a very fine consistency. Grate coconut and keep it mixed in a plate.
3. Mix 7-8 spoons of cooking oil to the Atta milk powder mix from step-1. Add the mixture of chopped green chilli, ginger, curry leaves and grated coconut, cumin seeds, chilli powder also to it.
4. Add water slowly to it and keep kneading to make it a hard dough and keep it aside for about 10-15 minutes.
5. Pinch out very small balls of less than 1/4″diameter from the dough . The pinched out balls and the dough is as shown in the image below.
Pinched out balls and the ready dough
6. Place a broad based bowl with 2 cups of cooking oil on the flame. On heating deep fry the above balls to light brown consistency and till it turns crispy as usual.
The deep fried balls is as shown in the image below.
Ready to serve Wheat atta balls
On cooling store it in airtight containers and will remain afresh for more than 15 days if fried in fresh cooking oil. Serve with tea as snacks. It can be a lunch box to kids as well.
What to remember:
1. Atta mix should be knead properly . The dough should be hard so that we should be able to pinch out the balls easily. The dough on kneading should gets dots as it is shown in the image above (2nd image). That is the proof that it has got the exact consistency.
2. Deep fry on medium flame only.
How long it takes: 45 minutes
Number of servings: 5-6