Besan or Chickpeas atta has its own multipurpose uses. It is used in the preparation of Laddus, mixture, Bhajji, Shev and you name it ! I would like to put up this Burfi today, a recipe which I borowed from a friend. I had been to her house last week and she served me for tiffin and it was really so yummy. The recipe is simple and the ingredients not too many, but it takes about 1 hour nevertheless. I prefer this one to many of the burfis available in the supermarkets.
What you need to have:
1. Besan atta/Chick peas Atta 1 cup
2. Sugar 2 cups
3. Pure Ghee 3/4 cup
4. Milk 1 cup
5. Cashew & Almonds 1/2 cup each
6. Cardamom 10-15
7. Saffron(optional) a few strings
Ingredients of Besan Burfi
What you do with what you have:
1. Sieve besan atta in the siever.
2. Powder sugar. Peal and powder cardamom and set aside.
3. Disolve Saffron strings in a spoon of warm milk.
3. Powder half of the dry fruits and slice the remaining.
4. Place a wide bottomed bowl on the flame with(Half he quantity of pure ghee) pure ghee in it. On melting add Besan with powdered and sliced dry fruits and keep stiring for around 10-15 minutes on a low flame. At this point you start getting a pleasant aroma.(If you can’t stir the flour mix easily then keep adding little in steps)
5. Add milk to the above mixture and keep stirring for a few minutes till it turns a little thick. Lastly add powdered sugar from Step 1 and keep stiring till the dough turns to the consistency of the chapathi dough.
6. Just before you switch off the gas add the powdered cardamom and saffron dissolved in milk from step 2 and set it on a wodden plank as shown in the image below. Mark it immediately to the required shape and cut into blocks.
Burfi mix spread on a plank
You may store it in airtight containers and have them remain afresh for more than 15 days at room temperature.
What to remember:
1. By experience one can alter the measurements of ghee and dry fruits. Actually one can make do with lesser less than specified above (1 cup).
2. Ensure that you should cut it before it begins to cool which is basically as soon as you switch off the gas. Having enough ghee makes it easier to cut too. I have added 1/2 cup of dry fruits powdered (for the flavor) and 1/2 being sliced (for the pleasure of picking them out and eating separately)
How long it takes: 1 hour
Number of burfis: 50-60