Suji/Semolina is used in the preparation of several dishes such as Upma, Laddoos, Idli, Dosa and sheera. Dhokla is another addition to this long list. The conventional dhokla which I put up here is very popular but somewhat time consuming and volatile in the sense that it might just not turn out right every time. Suji Dhokla though can be prepared almost instantly and tastes very good too. And surely therefore a good option to have.
What you need to have:
-Semolina/Sujee (Thin): 1 cup
-Yoghurt/Curds: 1/4 cup
-Water: 3/4 cup
-Cooking oil – 2 tablespoons
-Eno fruit salt: 1 sachet
-Ginger(optional): 1/2″ piece
-Green chilli(optional): 1
-Sugar: 1/2 teaspoon
Ingredients of Sujee Dhokla
Ingredients for Seasoning:
– Mustard seeds 1 Teaspoon
– Cumin seeds 1/2 Teaspoon
– Sesame seeds 2 Teaspoons
– Asafoetida powder 1/2Teaspoon
– Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
– Red chilli pieces a few
– Curry leaves a few
Ingredients for Topping:
– Chilli powder 1 Teaspoon
– Grated coconut 2 Tablespoons
– Coriander leaves a handful
Ingredients of Topping & Seasoning
What you do with what you have:
1. Wash and chop ginger and Green chili to a consistency as shown in the image above.
2. Run water and yogurt in the mixer for a few seconds.
3. Mix Semolina, oil,salt and sugar in a bowl. Add the water curd/yogurt mix from step 2 to it slowly in such a way that there are no lumps. Also add chopped ginger & green chili from step 1 and keep it aside for 20 minutes.
4. Heat an idli maker on the gas and when the water starts boiling empty the contents of the Eno sachet to the Sujee mix.
5. Stir the mix and steam it as shown in the image below covering the lid of the vessel with a clean cloth. This is done to prevent the steam from falling back into the dhokla and make it soggy.
Dhokla being steamed
6. It is cooked in about 3 minutes. Remove it and cut it and immediately sprinkle Chili powder when hot. The image is as shown in the image below.
Cooked Dhokla topped with chilli powder
6. Decorate it with fresh grated coconut and chopped corriander leaves .
7. Seasoning: Place a spatula with 4 teaspoons of cooking oil in it on the flame. On heating add mustard seeds to it. On sputtering add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, Asafoetida powder, red chilli, and lastly sesame seeds and curry leaves. Spread the seasoning on the top of it . The image is here below.
Cooked Dhokla being topped with seasoning
8. Enjoy with either Onion wet chutney or Tomato ketchup as shown in the image below.
What to remember:
1. Use fresh Semolina only – do not use the one which people warm up and store in containers to avoid it from getting spoilt.
2. Use the full sachet of Eno salt for 1 cup of semolina. Dhokla takes just 3 minutes to cook – not 30 minutes ! If it is not done in that stipulated time, that would mean that that the consistency of the dough is not quite what it should be.
Time taken in all :45 minutes
Serves for 4 people